To all EU Nationals

The United Kingdom has now voted to leave the EU. Many of you may feel anxious about what this means for you and your families. If you would like some immigration advice please contact us to book an appointment with one of our specialists:,, or

Information for EU nationals

As a citizen in a country of the European Economic Area or Switzerland, you have a right of residence in the United Kingdom if you can show that you are a qualified person in the United Kingdom or you have enough money to support yourself throughout your stay without having to rely on public funds.

You’re usually a qualified person if you’re a citizen of an EEA country or Switzerland and you are one of the following:

  • working
  • studying
  • self-employed
  • self-sufficient
  • looking for work

EEA/EU member states are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Irish Republic, Italy, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Malta, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

Bulgaria, Romania and Croatia are member states who have recently joined the European Union and their nationals have restricted rights to work.

As an EEA national, you do not currently require permission if you want to work in the UK and you are permitted to have your family members join you in the United Kingdom.

Family Permit

If you are a non-EEA national intending to come to the United Kingdom to join your partner who is a national of one of the EEA member states you are advised to apply for this permit from an overseas British post. If successful you would be given an EEA Family Permit which gives you the right to enter the United Kingdom for 6 months.  You will then be eligible to apply for a Residence Card under the EEA Regulations 2006 after entry to the United Kingdom.

Residence Permit

If you are a non-EEA national living in the United Kingdom with your EEA national partner you may apply for an EEA Residence card which confirms your right to live and work in the United Kingdom.

Permanent Residence

You must provide proof that you’ve been a qualified person or the family member of a qualified person for 5 years.

You can use your permanent residence document to apply to naturalise as a British Citizen if you’ve lived in the UK for 6 years.